Clarity In Muddy Waters

Clarity In Muddy Waters
I am just a tiny speck in our beautiful mass

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Parenting/Peace (I know, an oxymoron)

I'm now in tough love mode regarding my son. I love him more than anything in this world, but sometimes he just makes choices that are unacceptable to me, mostly in the way he speaks to me and about me to others.  I would never win mother of the the year, but that doesn't change the love factor.  Hindsight is always 20/20. Trite, I know.  Today is the first day that I am taking action to make the playing field a little more level in our relationship.  I don't like being strong-armed by my own son.  He might be physically bigger but contrary to many people's beliefs, I am smarter in ways that he is not and he is very bright.  I have the wisdom that he lacks.  Sometimes the hardest things you can do when you love your child is to do something that is going to cause them problems.  I believe the word is consequences.  No-one is going to be 24 eat all my food, not contribute and not work.  Yes, he has applied to start going to college.  It might not be the fancy university that he wanted but community colleges are there for a reason.

Love is not supposed to be a painful experience or a hurtful one.  Love should bring tears of joy, not constant tears of pain.

I have also learned what a destructive force envy is.  So many people seem to think that my life is so simple and amazing because my friend is older and has always been rather generous with me.  I always pay forward in my life.  The "If you have been blessed, pass it on " mentality.  That makes me happy.  I am very pleased with my 1 bedroom apartment.  I chose it because I adore its layout and I can afford to live there even if I had to work at McDonald's.  I have spent the last 6 moths trying to learn how to live within my means.  There is nothing I need or want for.  Stop spending is my new mantra.  I have broken worse habits than retail therapy so this should be a breeze.  I just want to live the rest of whatever time
God gives me to live with peace of mind.  That is priceless and in my opinion, the best gift of all.  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment