Clarity In Muddy Waters

Clarity In Muddy Waters
I am just a tiny speck in our beautiful mass

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Growing old



Growing old seems to be something many folks dread.  My biggest fear isn't the crows feet etc., it's when my brain ages and I no longer have my wits about me. I can't imagine what that feels like.  I hope I never find out.  Right now I am dealing with Joe and this situation.  I have been watching him decline for about the last 9 months.  Out of 4 children, there is only one whom I speak to freely and that seems to really care about his well being.  He got pulled over Friday night, totally disoriented.  The police were nice and let him park his car and called him a cab.  I came out the next day to take him to pick up his car and he had no clue as to where he had parked it.  I saw the frustration in his eyes.  I called the police department that handled the situation and they told us where they has him listed as parked.  Still couldn't find the damn car.  I had to go home, so I drove him back to his house.  The next day he took the train to the area where his Mazda was. Finally he found it.  The police are going to make him take another driving test, which he will fail.  Once they take your license it has to be a horrid blow.  His daughter is going to talk with me after I see him this weekend to gauge his situation. She lives in upstate New York.  I have a feeling adult protective services is going to wind up being involved.  Joe will fight this tooth and nail.  I see both sides of the situation.

What happens to us when we are no longer productive in society and are written off as useless?  That is a frightening thought.  To me an old age home is simply jail for the elderly.  (unless you are exceptionally wealthy, than the perks are quite better).   I have been taking all the Omega supplements that I can. I try to keep my brains stimulated.  In other countries the children take care of their parents.  Here in the states parents get shuttled off because they don't fit into today's busy lifestyle.   How sad is that?  Raising our children is quite the job.  I wonder if it is even appreciated at times.  We will never know.

He is the reason I haven't been able to get time to write.  I have been living in my car going back and forth to him home.  This week is a ME week.  Not being selfish, but God knows I need one. Til the next time, live well and be happy!

4 comments:

  1. Aging will happen regardless and the consequences of it will be what they will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WM- I guess you are saying it is what it is....and you are right. I would like to grow old with peace and harmony. That would make me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind some peace and quiet sure enough.

      Delete
  3. From your writing it sounds like the sounds of the street overflow into your home. It's amazing how a neighborhood can change from the time you purchased your home vs. these last few years... xoxo

    ReplyDelete